Privacy notice for [insert title]Date last modified: [DD/MM/YYYY]
Who we are[Name of Directorate/overseas post] which is part of the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office King Charles Street London SW1A 2AH [Insert contact details – Use local contact details. If possible use an enquiry point phone number and/or mailbox to avoid frequent updates to the privacy notice if the contacts change.]
What data we process and whyThe FCDO works in the UK and overseas to safeguard Britain’s national security, build Britain’s prosperity and support British citizens overseas. In doing so we process personal data. In particular, [name of Directorate/overseas post] processes personal data for the purposes of [explain what your purposes for processing the data are]. [If the personal data is not obtained from the individual it relates to, then the categories of data need to be described as well as the source of the data.] [If the data are obtained from the data subject then you will need to provide details of whether the individual is under a statutory or contractual obligation to provide the data, and the consequences if any of failing to provide such data.].
Legal basis for the processingWe process this data because [delete as appropriate: is necessary to do so in order to perform our official functions as a government department/because such processing is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests], namely [explain what those legitimate interests are].
What we do with it[Explain what will be done with the data. It should include: the recipients or categories of recipients of the data, whether the individual will be contacted as part of the processing of the data and by whom, the details of the transfers of the data to any third countries or international organisations (if applicable), and the existence or absence of an adequacy decision.] There may be other circumstances in which we may lawfully share your data with third parties where, for example, we are required to do so by law, by court order, or to prevent fraud or other crimes. Where we share data, however, we shall do so in accordance with applicable data protection laws. [The details of any automated decision-making, including profiling (if applicable) should be outlined here.]
How long we keep your dataWe will retain your personal data for [insert period if known or if not known insert criteria used to determine how long data is retained]
Your rightsYou have the right to:
- Object –
- request that your data is not processed for certain purposes.
- Erasure – request that your personal data is erased where one of the statutory grounds applies
- Data portability – the right to obtain and reuse your personal data for your own purposes across different services in certain circumstances.
- Restrict processing – request that the processing of your personal data is restricted in certain circumstances – for example, where accuracy is contested.
- Rectification – request that any inaccuracies in your personal data are rectified without delay. Request that any incomplete personal data is completed, including by means of a supplementary statement.
- Access – request information about how your personal data is processed and to request a copy of that personal data.
- withdraw consent to the processing of your personal data at any time.
- request a copy of any personal data you have provided.