Terms and Conditions – EN
Terms and conditions
AMBASSADOR FOR A DAY 20231) The competition is open to applicants who are resident in Italy and aged between 16-19 years old at the time of their application. Winners will shadow the British Ambassador to Italy Ed Llewellyn during official meetings and visits, and they will gain better understanding on international policy making negotiations, calls and official visits. Family members of British Embassy staff are not eligible to apply.
2) There is no entry fee.
3) The British Embassy in Rome will cover transport and meals within Rome. If winners’ place of residence is outside Rome, accommodation costs will be covered.
4) Route to entry for the competition and details on how to enter are:
- All candidates must answer the following question:
- If you were an Ambassador for a day, what is the one issue you would highlight on the world stage and for which you would like to see positive change in your community?
- The entries must be submitted in a video or written format. The video entries should be no more than two minutes long. The word limit for written entries is 250 words. The essay or video can be in English or Italian.
- Entries must be submitted through the registration form on the official website for Ambassador for a Day 2023.
- Together with the entry, each candidate must send the following contact details: name, date of birth, city of residence, email address, and their telephone number. These details will be used to inform candidates about the results of the competition.
- The candidates must enter the competition with videos or essays, which have not been published in print or online prior to the announcement of the Ambassador for a Day competition and have not been used for applying to similar initiatives. The content of the essays must be original and in line with the theme of the Ambassador for a Day campaign.
5) Only one entry will be accepted per person. Multiple entries from the same person will be disqualified.
6) The closing date for entry will be 23:59 hrs, 28/05/2023. After this date, no further entries to the competition will be permitted.7) No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
8) The winners will be selected based on their video or essay by an independent jury, which includes British Embassy employees. The number of winners shall be no more than six.
9) The winners will be notified by email or phone. If a winner cannot be contacted within four working days of notification, the Embassy holds the right to withdraw the nomination and pick a replacement among the other participants.
10) The prize consists of:
- Shadowing the British Ambassador during two consecutive working days;
- First-hand experience of multilateral diplomacy in Italy;
- Invitation for the winner and one parent or legal guardian to the King’s Birthday Party hosted at the British Residence in Rome on 22 June 2023.
11) The rules of participation in the Ambassador for a Day campaign are as follows:
- The winners must be available to travel to Rome.
- Any winner aged under 18 must provide a written consent from their parent or guardian who is over 21 years old to join the activities described above and permission to share their photos/videos on the British Embassy social media and website.
- The winners as well as their chaperones must have valid ID.
- The winners agree to be photographed and/or filmed as part of the Ambassador for a Day campaign in order to promote the initiative provided that the photos/videos do not prejudice their dignity and reputation, as well as part of social media activities of the channels @UKinItaly (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook), @UKinItalia (Twitter) and @EdLlewellynFCDO (Twitter).
13) The British Embassy Rome’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition, including but not limited to the appraisal of the participants, the organisation of carrying out the competition and the awarding of the winner’s prizes will be final. The British Embassy Rome reserves the right to change the date and order of awards if necessary, in such an event participants will be notified.
14) By entering this competition, the entrant and their lawful representative is indicating their agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.